Big Data – what is it, why is it important?
This type of data collection can provide information like the quickest route, the shows you may like or health tips.
“Big Data” is a catch phrase used to describe data collections most commonly defined by the 3Vs; volume, velocity and variety. Big Data is usually high volume, high velocity and/or a high variety of data.
Data science and data analytics are the fields that extract information and insights from the data. They find patterns, explain trends, visualise data, improve understanding of consumer trends and allow businesses to make evidence-based decisions.
To learn more about data and how it will impact the future, head to a Date with Data at Scitech.
Explore resources in the menu:
- Using data to improve student outcomes
- How is a cake like supercomputing?
- Data Scientist – the career of the future
- Western Australia at the forefront of big data
- Big Data: A case study in traditional Chinese medicine
- The power of the masses
- Hidden connections
- Data in the classroom